The Community Centre offers a range of financial services including financial counselling, budget counselling, and a No Interest Loans Scheme.
What is NILS?
The Byron Community No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) provides interest free loans for members of the Byron Shire community on low incomes. It is a community programme, based on a static pool of money. No interest loans are directed at purchasing essential items such as fridges and washing machines.
How does it work?
When a borrower makes a repayment to Byron Community NILS, funds are then available for someone else in the community to borrow. This is called circular credit.
You must have lived in the Byron Shire for at least 6 months to be eligible.
- Mondays 10.00am – 12.30pm
- Tuesdays 1.00pm – 4.00pm
- Wednesdays 10.00am – 1.00pm
- Thursday 10.00am – 1.00pm
- Fridays 10.00am – 12.30pm.
Financial Counselling is a free service that offers support to anyone who is having money problems, in particular with debts.
This service helps you understand your rights, look at your options and offers support when you decide what to do.
Financial Counselling can help with:
- your rights regarding debt and debt collection
- assessing your financial situation and your options
- how to talk to the people that claim you owe them money
- credit laws and practices
- talking to your creditors directly with your authorisation
Money Matters is a free and confidential service to help you work out where your money is going, how to save and how to get on top of your bills. Available on the last Friday of the month by appointment through reception on 02 6685 6807.